Join Date: Jul 2010
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 5
So, in chatting with some sailing buddies, and some internet sleuthing, I managed to find the original rigging instructions for the Javelin. Turns out the PO had the mainsheet all wrong, and I had 1:1 purchase at the *center* of the boom. No wonder I had such trouble keeping her sheeted in!
Edit: Oh, and CalebD: That image is actually an aftermarket setup. The stock rigging makes use of a couple of swivel blocks on the outside corners of the transom. It's crazy looking, but I'm gonna give it a shot. I *think* the stock setup will get me 3:1 purchase, and it'll get it out on the end of the boom where it oughtta be.
Holding the mainsheet fast was still definitely a hardware problem though. Upon disassembly, the spring for one of the cams disintegrated, and I found out just how busted the teeth on the cleats were. I did some buggering about, and sharpened up the cleat teeth, but without that spring, I think the original hardware is screwed, even with a new rig plan.
So, I hit up DRMarine and ordered a new swivel jammer for the main ($54, woo!), and it should arrive in the next couple of days. Here's hoping I can squeak a couple more sails out of the season.
Last edited by 5hortBu5; 09-07-2010 at 10:16 AM.