SailNet Community - View Single Post - Challenging ASA ratings?
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2010

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
That was my original intention. However i need to find a time and a date when one other person was going to be enrolled in the class, which may not happen this year. Also the course was going to cost more than twice as much at least $700 difference than challenging the ratings and that school would not allow me to challenge the higher ratings, like ASA 105.
I'm concerned about the goal. If the goal is to just get a book with some stamps in it and you already know the material my question is why bother?
There are lots of people that have the book and don't know how to sail.

If your goal is to charter a boat it is not necessary as they want to know about your experience and a 4 day course is not really experience is it.

If you goal is learn something and fill in the blanks of self learning with a structured course then you have to take the course.

I can't see any goal that is worth the money to challenge the course. Why bother. I took the first three with my wife because she figured she would rather learn from anyone but me. I had a great time, we had some great stories. I basically kept my mouth shut, did what I was told to do and observed. I learned a lot. If not about sailing at least about teaching.

We are from Connecticut and we went to the Santa Barbara Sailing School.
You can go anywhere for the class that's what planes are for.
The experience is worth something, the paper not so much.

Last edited by davidpm; 09-08-2010 at 12:01 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook