SailNet Community - View Single Post - What's up with motoring when you can sail?
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerust View Post
So over Labor Day weekend, I moved my new (to me) 1968 Pearson Wanderer 30 from Kinsale, VA to Queens Creek, VA. Sunday we left Kinsale and motored/sailed down to the Great Wicomico near Reedville. Winds weren't great, so we ended up motoring part of the way.

But Monday, the winds out in the Chesapeake Bay were fantastic as soon as we left the Great Wicomico. We sailed like mad all day long, all the way down to the entrance to Hills Bay by Gwynn Island.

There were lots of other sailboats out there in the Bay, but the thing that perpelexed us was the number we saw motoring with bare sticks! The wind and weather were just about as perfect as you could want for a day of really great sailing out there on the Bay, so why the hell were these people motoring on a sailboat?

And I'm not talking about people motoring directly into the wind, either - we saw different boats on different points of sail, including ones that could have been making just as good (or maybe even better) time with the sails out - motoring!

Made me think that maybe they need to rethink the type of boat they really want to have.
It's pure sacrilege. If I see stuff like that I start taunting and throwing eggs as I sail by.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook