SailNet Community - View Single Post - What's up with motoring when you can sail?
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2010
1968 Pearson Wanderer 30

ilikerust is on a distinguished road
Yeah, I suppose...

We also sailed past a very nice, larger, pretty modern sailboat with a whole mess of people in the cockpit, that was basically on a broad reach, with both main and headsail up. But they had the boom pulled in tight and centered over the boat and the headsail very close-hauled.

They were plodding along at maybe 3 knots, whereas if they had had their sails properly set, they would easily have been doubling that. That also seemed odd - kinda wondering whether they knew what they were doing.

My buddy was telling me of a guy he knew who bought himself a sailboat without knowing the first thing about sailing and just went out there and did it. If it started blowing too much, he would just drop all sails and float around until the wind died down a bit, then hoist the sails back up. He apparently did this for a long time, even making some deep water crossings, using this method, until someone asked him "why don't you reef your sails when the wind gets too high?" The guy gave him a blank stare - he had no idea what reefing was and was very surprised to learn you could reduce sail area, rather than just dropping the sails completely.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook