SailNet Community - View Single Post - Challenging ASA ratings?
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2010

jephotog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
I'm concerned about the goal. If the goal is to just get a book with some stamps in it and you already know the material my question is why bother?
Sailing is a lifelong passion for me and a long term goal. Living in Utah it is a lot harder to get onboard a boat than it was living on the coast. I used to be able to sail on lots of different boats for free. I know how to sail a boat, but want to charter a boat. My recent experience does not qualify me to charter a boat, even though I had taken a class in Ventura in the 90s and was chartering 30' boats back then. I am hoping getting my ASA ratings will allow me to at least get my foot in the door with charter companies, so I can prove I can handle a boat.

Another issue is one of limited resources, both time and money. The fact you can afford to learn to sail in SB shows you are in a different tax bracket. I have sailed 100s of days, 8 more days sailing in SB would add little to my experience, but subtract much from my bank account.

I do not intrinsically know all this stuff about sailing, but used to know a lot and am quite able to teach myself, what I have forgotten. Like the expression "nothings more efficient than a scared sailor with a bucket", so goes the expression "Jordan with a final test approaching". I have been studying and know more now about sailing than I have ever. If nothing more I have learned a lot in preparation that I would not have otherwise and get to go sailing for the weekend showing what I know. Hopefully I will be closer to being able to charter when done.

Another question for Tempest.
Are there any radar, sextant or radio nav questions on the ASA 105 test.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook