Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
Join Date: May 2006
Thanked 111 Times in 99 Posts
Rep Power: 10
Age and route
That is awesome man, congratulations. How old are you may I ask? What route will you take for your circum?
I am 62 and my wife is a bit younger (not allowed to say). We were going to start cruising about now but she got laid off from her job in NYC last April so we went cruising then instead. Went to Bermuda in May and then the Caribbean in November and decided on the circumnavigation since we really enjoyed our time cruising.
Our likely route for the first year (Nov '10 to Nov '11) is:
- Florida through Bahamas to San Blas Islands in Panama
- Through the Canal around the end of December
- To Ecuador; leave boat and backpack Ecuador/Peru for a month or so
- To Galapagos and then Easter Island, Pitcairn on way to French Polynesia (enter through Tuamotus)
- Through FP for three months (visa limitation)
- Cook Islands, Niue, Tonga
- To New Zealand for cyclone season
Plans after that are still a bit vague since we don't really need to have a schedule. We are investigating the possibility of cruising in China. A few offshore races go there but there is no mechanism for dealing with cruisers - you are treated like a ship and it is very costly and very bureaucratic.
Back home on Lake Ontario after something over 36,000 nm circumnavigator. Not surprisingly there is a lot of stuff I want to get done on Ainia both cosmetically and functionally. Getting an early start so it will be ready to go for next summer (Lake Superior?).