Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
Join Date: May 2006
Thanked 99 Times in 87 Posts
Rep Power: 10
congrats, keep us posted. Would be great if you shared your excel checklists once you head out to give folks perspective.
The checklists (one for jobs and one for provisioning) are a bit on the idiosyncratic side since it depends on things like the boat, where you are going, and what you like to eat. The sort of things on the jobs list include:
- getting charts, both electronic and paper
- researching where to go and what to see along with things like Customs/Immigration procedures, dealing with agents
- boat upgrades - new standing rigging (DIY or get a rigger), some new running rigging, replace lifelines and steering cables
- arrange insurance coverage for places you want to go
- make sure computers (we have two) have appropriate software eg JVComm for weather faxes, 2 programs for tides
- get courtesy flags (haven't found source for flags of Niue and Cook Islands - have to make them)
- insect protection for boat and us - malaria and dengue fever
- end for end anchor chain and add partitions inside anchor locker
- lube all through -hulls (too many - 16!)
- recheck sea anchor setup
- get a weight belt to make it easier to do hull scubs
The number of items is huge but needs to be since we will be going to places where boat stores (and even food stores) just don't exist. Pitcairn gets something like 5 cruising boats a year visiting, along with 3 or so supply vessels so you need to be self-sufficient. Ainia was well-equipped for last year's trip but this is a whole different ball game. Some of the tasks are major like replacing the standing rigging, while some are tiny, like making sure we have enough mosquito coils but all are important to our safety and enjoyment of what will be at least a three year trip. Shopping is excellent in Panama but the next really complete place for boat repairs and the like is NZ which is a long way away.
Back home on Lake Ontario after something over 36,000 nm circumnavigator. Not surprisingly there is a lot of stuff I want to get done on Ainia both cosmetically and functionally. Getting an early start so it will be ready to go for next summer (Lake Superior?).
Last edited by killarney_sailor; 09-09-2010 at 09:57 AM.
Reason: forgot something