SailNet Community - View Single Post - Knock Downs
Thread: Knock Downs
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2010

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Trisstan.
Yep, very true. A retrieval system is also needed (or a sharp knife)
A drogue/ brake type system is to be used in open water if you are in danger of pitchpoling or if you wish to slow down in order to let the weather pass over (be in it for less time by not running with it). The seas would have to be huge - and the wind.

I had a para-anchor on the previous boat - learnt how to use and retrieve it, but never needed in anger. I had been in 65kn and 4-6m swells and did not need the para anchor at that stage. I had sea room and a desire to head in the general direction I was being shoved.

A friend in the same class/model yacht crossed the Tasman and had the same system as I did. He was really hammered and deployed the para anchor. He cut it before it tore out his samsom post - possibly not enough rode - but the postmortem discussion is academic.

25kn in open water is a good sailing breeze.

The situation I was describing earlier in this thread was arriving at a narrow entrance harbour, having to turn to get in, allowing the seas to be on the quarter, whilst my attention was momentarily distracted/surprised by some kayakers.

I firmly believe that you can prepare for most things you can think of, but reality is that each situation is novel and requires a decision and you just live with that decision. Know your boat very well and have it working and maintained. In other words get some sea time under your belt.

The more experience you get, the easier the decision is to make and you seem to get 'luckier'. Then you gasbag on SN....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook