SailNet Community - View Single Post - Womyn are never called Captain
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2010

dhays is on a distinguished road
This came up for discussion last weekend. My boat broker and fellow yacht club member is a woman, married to a guy I've known for 30 years. She is an accomplished sailor with many racing victories to her credit.

As a boat broker, she takes buyers on sea trials in all kinds of boats, power and sail. Normally, if another broker brings her a buyer for a boat she is listing, the buyers broker takes the boat on the sea trial. The selling broker will do it if asked, BUT gets an extra piece of the commission for the trouble.

When she takes a buyer to a sea trial of a boat that she isn't listing, she has found that almost all the time, the listing broker (male of course) will come along on the sea trial with her without asking for that extra piece of the commission. The issue is clear, the male brokers don't think that she, as a woman, can handle the boat by herself.

While she shrugs it off, I can tell that is beginning to really annoy her. If she takes a buyer on a sea trial, the listing broker goes along. If a male broker in her office does the same, the listing broker doesn't go along.
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook