SailNet Community - View Single Post - What's too windy for a dinghy sail?
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2010

mpickering is on a distinguished road
For what it's worth, I've been out on Snipe dinghies with two on board weighing around 360 pounds in small craft advisories of 18 knots gusting 25. Waves were building to four foot with short chop inshore. Kept the boat upright. Rigging humming upwind and boat surfing on the downwind runs. Other than getting very wet, the boat handled fine. It all depends on your comfort level.

The same conditions saw several Lasers doing synchronized death rolls and a couple pitchpoled. The two-man boats with a decent crew onboard handles the heavy winds just fine. Strangely, I'm not comfortable taking my Catalina 27 out in those conditions but have no issue being on a dinghy.

Get out and have fun. The sail area of the Snipe is 128 sq. feet, by the way, just a few feet more than your Javelin. Find a heavier friend and go sailing!

Only advice I can offer is don't jibe in those conditions until you've practiced it in less windy conditions. A crash jibe in winds that strong can break things like booms and masts. Do chicken jibes or tack downwind.

Matt
Star #6100
Annapolis, MD
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook