SailNet Community - View Single Post - Knock Downs
Thread: Knock Downs
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
St. Anna,
Agreed. Following the herd is for sheep and cattle and those that listen to mainstream news outlets. Bob Marley always sets a wonderful mood too.
On our little 27' boat we have no stereo though so it is always about the wind, waves and clouds or "Wind, Sand and Stars" as the St. Exupery novel points out (great book by the way). I never thought we would get our little boat that far over with her 3-1/2 tonnes of weight though with a reef in the main.
My boat always sings to me in her way when she is doing her best with the wind that she has. It is not about wind instruments or GPS or whatever but a visceral feel of the boat laboring to go in one direction or another. What is scary is the higher winds that 50 S latitude or even the north Atlantic can stir up and even local high wind events.
I am always learning something and so far have been able to report my findings. When I have bitten off more then I can chew I will not report back on my observations/impressions.
Your boat weighs 17 tonnes???
Jebus!

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook