SailNet Community - View Single Post - preparing to live aboard
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2006

svLotus is on a distinguished road
living aboard and sailing

my husband and i bought and moved aboard our 33 ft. morgan outisland back in 2001, just outside of houston, texas. the outisland was a compromise buy, giving us more than enough room for the two of us, and accommodated his height at 6'2". we commuted to work for half the year and eventually took our morgan cruising for one year: down the icw, over to mexico, down to hoduras, and back. she was a very reliable, comfortable, and affordable purchase. that said, it was not the optimal sailing vessel. we had periods that required some motor-sailing, but overall it was perfect for the stage we were at with our sailing. very easy to handle. i think you can easily find something 30-32 ft that's livable. for both purchases we used www.yachtworld.com

we're now embarking on a 3 year circumnavigation and again some compromise (a blue water sailboat, that sails!, and with comfort) had to be negotiated. so, we've purchased a morgan 382 and just love it. plenty of room, she sails great, the boat is blue water worthy, and we can both single-hand her. oh, and it didn't break the bank.

either way, prepare to simplify, simplify, simplify. we found after moving aboard for the first time 5 years ago the process came in steps. ultimately, you pare down much more than you'd ever imagine.

as to marinas, we opted for texas because of the low cost of living and SUPER cheap marina slip rent. i personally found Florida to be anti-liveaboard and extremely costly, and the same for california.

happy sailing!!!
christine

Last edited by svLotus; 06-15-2006 at 05:32 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook