SailNet Community - View Single Post - Surviving Hurricanes
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2006

Hawkeye25 is on a distinguished road
These tips are fantastic and I'm adding them to my trip notes and will mark them on my charts. I think the one anchorage you mentioned new Cabbage Key Resort is at Useppa Island.

Two years ago I finally put my boat in at Naples and made my way north to get treatment at the Bay Pines VA. My boat wasn't finished at all, and I was in squalls and 20-25 knot headwinds and big current on the nose. My bilge pump wasn't wired in and my cockpit floor was only a plan, so all water coming over the bow ended in the bilge, requiring that I occasionally put the gearbox in neutral and dive below to hold the wires on the battery terminals and pump out the bilge. I pretty much decided I should sell the boat, if I survived, and get a small camp in the mountains somewhere, and a gun to ward off visitors. Hurricane Charlie was churning it's way straight for me and the current outside Sanibel finally forced me to turn around and head into the ICW.

I stopped overnight at the Useppa anchorage, then motored to one just inside the Venice channel for the next night, then stopped in the Manatee River at Regatta Point Marina. I am now at the Seafood Shack Marina on the ICW at Cortez.

The sooner I can get out of here and head south, then around and toward the South Carolina ICW, the better.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook