SailNet Community - View Single Post - Surviving Hurricanes
View Single Post
post #7 of Old 06-15-2006 Thread Starter
Hawkeye25

These tips are fantastic and I'm adding them to my trip notes and will mark them on my charts. I think the one anchorage you mentioned new Cabbage Key Resort is at Useppa Island.

Two years ago I finally put my boat in at Naples and made my way north to get treatment at the Bay Pines VA. My boat wasn't finished at all, and I was in squalls and 20-25 knot headwinds and big current on the nose. My bilge pump wasn't wired in and my cockpit floor was only a plan, so all water coming over the bow ended in the bilge, requiring that I occasionally put the gearbox in neutral and dive below to hold the wires on the battery terminals and pump out the bilge. I pretty much decided I should sell the boat, if I survived, and get a small camp in the mountains somewhere, and a gun to ward off visitors. Hurricane Charlie was churning it's way straight for me and the current outside Sanibel finally forced me to turn around and head into the ICW.

I stopped overnight at the Useppa anchorage, then motored to one just inside the Venice channel for the next night, then stopped in the Manatee River at Regatta Point Marina. I am now at the Seafood Shack Marina on the ICW at Cortez.

The sooner I can get out of here and head south, then around and toward the South Carolina ICW, the better.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome