SailNet Community - View Single Post - Chartering BVI? Stay far away from Conch Chrs
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2010
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
Familyofun,

I'll start by saying I have no connection with Conch other than having chartered about a dozen times with them over the years. The last time I chartered was about six or seven years ago and that was also with Conch.

A couple of things about your complaint strike me as odd. One, it is your responsibility to have enough fresh water aboard, not Conch's so there is no excuse for returning the boat with dirty dishes. You only mention this in your second post. Normally you get full tanks when you board and it is your responsibility to ensure that you have sufficient fresh water from then on. If Conch withheld your security deposit it has to be for good reason and returning a boat with dirty dishes is one indication that all was not well when you returned the boat. I would like to hear Conch's side of the story. Charter companies usually bend over backwards before they withhold a security deposit and Conch is no different.

If they inspected the boat closely when you returned they must have had good reason and the dirty dishes might have been a tip-off.

If the boat and linen stank when you boarded you should have pointed this out during the initial familiarization routine where a rep of the charter company takes you through the boat.

If the boat was a wreck you should have pointed out the deficiencies to Conch on boarding.

Also I find it difficult to understand you got "zero assistance" when a "piece of equipment failed to work". There is a VHF aboard and also a cell phone with no charge to call Conch. What was the nature of your call, what failed to work?

You have made a total of 7 posts on this site and all seven were to knock Conch. Also in one of your earlier posts you admit to running over the dinghy and severing the painter and this can result in damage to the shaft and alignment. I now see why they inspected the boat closely. I assume this is why Conch kept your damage deposit. I take it you elected to post a $1500 damage deposit rather than to take the insurance that is also available.

As I said earlier I have not chartered with Conch for a few years and their service may have deteriorated but I cannot believe your side completely as all the posts on this site you've ever made complain about the one charter you had with Conch. Was this your first ever charter?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Vasco; 09-12-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook