SailNet Community - View Single Post - Gulf of Mexico oil spill
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2010

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolatom View Post
Funny thing about that. I don't know where "they" were, but I dived off Pensacola, in about 100', then in about 80', a month ago. Then dived off Orange Beach last Monday, in about 80' and then around 70'. Couldn't find any oil, or traces, anywhere. Not saying it ain't out there, just not where I was. Nor where anyone else who's been running either dive boat was, either.
I saw a local report that they found significant subsurface oil in a canyon about 40 or 50 miles south of us (Seaside area). The Gulf here seems a little out of kilter, like it has indigestion. Weirdly long June grass season, followed by thousands of sea slugs washing ashore...

A friend of mine pointed out that all of the oil that ended up in the Gulf could fill about two N.O. Superdomes. When you compare that with the volume of the Gulf, it puts it in some sort of perspective..... not that it wasn't devastating to the marshes, untold marine creatures, business, etc. It was one difficult, strange summer here on the Florida panhandle.... Hope all are well.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook