SailNet Community - View Single Post - 45' Morgan by Catalina
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2010

2Sheets2TheWind is on a distinguished road
Thanks, Brian. I've been trying to narrow the searches to mid 1990s or so, and around 45 feet. I've checked out some of the Tayanas on line, as well as Gulfstars. Look like good boats (I've read more about the Tayanas over the last few years, but not a whole lot), but many are 80s vintage and/or in the 42 range. But it's OK...I'm still a few years from moving on board and heading south for a couple of years exploring the Caribe and Central America with the wife. Her three requirements: A separate shower area with at least a bench so she can shave her legs easier, 47 feet long (45 will be OK...she won't notice), and not a fixer upper.

Agree on the Irwins. Ted seemed to do things on the cheaper side, although they have a strong following among the owners of 38s and Mark IIs that I've met. I have a Citation which is a good basic boat for the Chesapeake bay, but it is everything the reviews say about it is true. When you get a good blow of 12 or 15 knots, you wish it felt more solid. It's a light boat, so days with 6 to 8 knots aren't wasted days like the heavier ones. It's just a day sailor for us.

Thanks, again. Any advice on boats you have is greatly appreciated. Sounds like you have a lot of experience.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook