SailNet Community - View Single Post - Suddenly buring oil?
View Single Post
post #8 of Old 09-14-2010 Thread Starter
preservedkillick

Yeah, if all I need to worry about is adding half a quart of oil every season I'm not concerned. I'm just looking for a reason. Specifically, did I damage a head gasket or worse with the over heat. I think leaking head gaskets are a bad thing with diesels, from what I've read.

When I think "oil burning" I think piston rings, unless the oil is making it to the coolant. The oil has no obvious signs of water. Black and thick.

When I look back at the exhaust, I barely see a little smoke of some sort, very light almost a fog. Certainly not dark. I thimk I see it more with polarized lenses. Trouble is, I don't know what "normal" is.

I'm not even positive the sooty transom is a new issue. Last year I had bare dry gelcoat. Didn't look great, but was relatively stain free. This year I have a coat of Collinite Fleetwax. Looks great, but with the warm days it softens and stains. I've also got black streaks under the deck skuppers.

Preserved Killick

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Seagrass
Boothbay Harbor, ME
Alberg 30:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome