SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Cape Cod to Florida--Crew wanted

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  seaduced8104 
#1 ·
Starting around Oct 17th, I'll be taking my Tartan 37 from Hyannis, MA to Florida. I've made this trip 5 times, and it usually takes about 3 weeks depending on weather.
I usually go outside from Cape Cod to Norfolk, VA and then inside around Cape Hatteras, and then outside again as weather allows.
You should know a bit about sailing, not get easily seasick, be able to cook a little and stand watches. You need to be a non-smoker, a light drinker, and have a sense of humor.
Your expenses will be for your transportation to and from the boat and your share of the food.
You can e-mail me at sailingcrew08 that at gmail.com

Hope to hear from you,
Bill

#3 ·
It really makes me laugh when people think that they can subsidize their moving a boat by asking for crew and not even offering to pay for the basics of food or transportation to/from the boat. :rolleyes:

Delivering a boat is a huge time commitment, and asking someone to do so and requiring that they PAY for the opportunity takes some chutzpah. Good luck with that.

#5 ·
It all depends, sailingdog. I probably would've gone out with him under those terms just for the experience, assuming he has the requisite knowledge, skills and attitude, as the cost really isn't an issue for me and I've got a lot to learn. But when you send a guy an email and he can't even be bothered to acknowledge it, well, yeah, good luck, mate. Have a great trip.

#9 · (Edited)
when you send a guy an email and he can't even be bothered to acknowledge it, well, yeah, good luck, mate. Have a great trip.
I thought I was the only one. I wrote to him twice to his email address and posted a reply to the thread his replied, I did not get a single acknowledgment. I assume that he must get a thousand bites and too busy to reply back.

This is the internet age, no reply means not interested. It is considered normal and proper now. No hard feeling and just move on. But I would never treat other sailors like this way tho. If the emails are overwhelming, One will just post a general reply on the thread stating the fact.

We breath in oxygen, but breath out many different breaths. Some smell better than other. Life goes on. :)

#6 ·
Are you expecting your crew to pay both for their transportation, food and other boat's sundries?
I'd like to sail on a Tartan 37' but not entirely on my dime and time.
I'm also a smoker who does not throw cig. butts in the water or smoke in anyone's cabin but good luck with the caliber of crew you find for free.
Who has 3 weeks of 'free' time anyway? I might have the time but not for free.

#7 · (Edited)
CalebD-

He's only expecting the crew to pay for their share of the food and their transportation to/from the boat...along with working their asses off during a three-week delivery without pay... I don't think he's requiring them to pay for the boat sundries... :D It is such a good deal!!!...:laugher :laugher :laugher

Maybe he is providing free beer and all you can drink... He doesn't say you have to pay for drinks... :D Just requests you be a light drinker.....

#8 ·
Hmmmmmmm

ya get what ya pay for?
There's a lot a person could get from this trip.
Good crew is worth a lot.
Expanding horizons is a thing.

Could be a great oportunity for some.
To the guy looking for "crew" - good luck. Who's in now? Just you?
I've known good guys looking for rides like this. Not now.
Tell us the plan. Tell us about your boat.
Safe sailing.
Max

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.