SailNet Community - View Single Post - C&C 99 motoring speed and a few others
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2010

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Barry,

I have sailed quite a bit on my friends It is a tender ( as most C&Cs are0 racer first cruiser. They are light at less than 10,000 lbs and need to be reefed usually at 15 knotts. Under power expect about 6.8 at normal cruising. Large spade ruddser gives great control

There are many negatives about this if you are thinking about a used one.

First the rep of the company now. Second the sanwich core below the water line as well as the cvacum bagging build technique. Third an underpowered 15 hp Volvo saildrive. Hard to find parts for vs Yanmar and for me a scary engine configuration vs traditional. Semi open transome. The fit a finish below is no where close to the old C&C s like the one I own.

If you are not into racing I would not own this boat. As a proud C&C owner who has a good solid one from the older models I would not buy a new/ post 1999 one.

Baryy I would look at Sabres.

Dave
Interesting... I'm wondering what specifically is the problem with sandwich core below the waterline and vacuum bagging. This is standard for a very large percentage production racer/cruisers (even cruisers) built in the past 2 or 3 decades. It'd be very difficult to find a solid glass boat in a similar length to the 99 that sailed with anywhere near a phrf rating of 99-105 or so. Many if not most boats of this construction type are still on the water and sailed hard... I can't think of any exceptions in our local fleet of 93-99 rated boats. Semi open transom? I guess it's just what one gets used to. I've always thought of open transoms as the best and quickest cockpit drain. I suppose if one was concerned, you could stretch netting across for some added security. My heart agrees with the shaft vs. saildrive... that's a mighty big hole down there, and if the seal maintenance isn't kept up, yikes! But the brain says, many many boats that are raced and cruised these days use them without issue. I haven't sailed a 99, but I'm guessing like many lighter racer/cruisers, upwind in 15 kts TWS, you need active main trim. If you're cruising and don't want to deal with it, sure, put in a reef. Respectfully, it sounds like you prefer a cruiser/racer than a racer/cruiser... different horses for courses...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook