SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing Schools: St Thomas vs. Tortola?
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2010

CaptFoolhardy is on a distinguished road
Here's an alternative suggestion for you.

My wife and I have been sailing our 15' trailer sailboat for about 10 years and this year wanted to get bareboat certification so that we can charter. We went with U.S. Sailing instead of ASA; their curricula are nearly identical. I considered taking a course in the Virgin Islands but opted for Offshore Sailing School's St. Petersburg, Florida location and their Fast Track to Cruising course. The advantages to this approach were that being a less popular destination for sailors than the BVI there were fewer students in our course. In fact for the first portion of the course it was just the two of us and we had the boat and instructor to ourselves and for the live-aboard portion there was just one other student. Also, now when we finally do our first charter in the BVI it will be an entirely recreational trip. We'll be able to go where we want when we want, it will be just us on the boat and we won't have to spend an hour or two each day doing class or exams or MOB drills, we can just have fun.

Our instructor in St. Pete was Rob Gannon. We were very happy and I highly recommend him.

Last edited by CaptFoolhardy; 09-15-2010 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Clarification
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook