SailNet Community - View Single Post - C&C 99 motoring speed and a few others
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2010

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddinlegs View Post
Great post! I knew about the J-boat issues, and agree that when looking at cored boats, maintenance and long term love is everything, but they (cored boats) certainly shouldn't be excluded from one's shopping list. We own an E-34... and I'll be darned, I had no idea that the O-34 was a solid glass hull. Learning new things is good! Just curious, and on a small hijack, what conditions do you find your boat excels compared to the E? There are a couple of O's in the local marina's, but none (nor any 99's) are out racing. And agreed, a wheel on a 30-34' racer/cruiser is a bit odd. Saildrives... yep, it's pretty tough to trust that a used boat has been properly maintained, and the cost of failure and electrolysis is sinking or repower/rebuild/new lower drive, but a survey will find this soon enough. Again, thanks for the post!
Puddin,
Your bio here looks empty to me. You have an Ericson 34?? Wow! Are you logged in at EricsonYachts.org: The Starting Point on Ericson Yachts!
That's where I usually lurk... having an Ericson-built boat.

When Ericson bought up the tooling for the Olsons (25,911s, and 34) in early/mid 1988, they continued to produce them with solid layup hulls and more "cruising-oriented" interiors. In the case of the O-34, Pacific Boats only built one (cored hull) prototype. The 39 that were built by Ericson really comprise the main production of that model. I have hull #8. Our boat has the optional wheel, ordered by the first owner. We were hoping for a tiller model when we were shopping, but, oh well...

As you might expect from our MORC-derived hull, we are best at reaching and running. A good IOR hull like an Ericson 33RH can keep right up with us. That should be true for an E-34 (mk1 or 2).

Cheers,
L
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook