SailNet Community - View Single Post - C&C 99 motoring speed and a few others
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2010

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road
Not sure what all the fuss is about. Our best friends bought a 2008 99 and this is its 4th season (reminds me of cars with a 2008 model delivered Aug 2007).

Easily motors at 7 knots. Can go faster. Plenty of power in all situations we have encountered. Only issue with the engine was with faulty shore power that surged and damaged the main circuit board. No issues obtaining replacement.

The boat sails well, performs hands down better than the old C&Cs of the 70s and 80s and is a modern design. The boat is well rigged and the fit and finish seem very good. Altthough a new Tartan is a bit nicer below it is still quite nice. I also sail on a C&C 115 which seems to have a few more problems with the fixtures inside but is otherwise a solid boat.

I can not recall specifically which C&C models have been reputed to have the problems with construction techniques but it was not the 99.

The bonus is that the newer ones draw 5.5 feet and there are not many performance oriented 32 footers available these days with that shallow a draft. It is not a racer - it is a cruiser/racer but it also has a PHRF between 99 and 105 so is very nice to sail.

Saildrive vs Shaft. personal preference. Shafts tend to leak a lot more from my experience.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook