SailNet Community - View Single Post - Big Freakin' Sails
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Okay, so I'm reading the book: "Adrift" by Steven Callahan, who spent 76 days lost at sea in a six-man life raft with very, very little in the way of provisions.

I'm at the point in the book where he's 23 days in. And I come across this...

Quote:
In fact, I sometimes wonder if one of the major reasons for ocean racing and voyaging is to push one's self and one's boat just past the edge, watch things fail, and then somehow come up with a solution. In many ways, having a jury rig succeed is often more gratifying than making a pleasant and uneventful passage or even winning a race. Rising to the challenge is a common thread that runs through a vast wardrobe of sea stories.
This from a guy who spends 2-1/2 months in a tiny rubber raft with nothing but a solar still and a spear gun...the latter of which just broke leading to the above passage.

Interesting perspective.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook