SailNet Community - View Single Post - Shower Sump Thru-Hull
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2010

LittleWingCA is on a distinguished road
Shower Sump Thru-Hull

Hi Everyone:

While gathering information on a toilet problem posted in another thread, I noticed while fishing around the plumbing of my toilet, that the hose from my shower sump pump to the exit thru-hull has no seacock on it as it exits the hull. I was quite surprised to see that. Not sure how I missed that. The hose just connects to a 90 degree elbow that attaches to the thru-hull. While the thru-hull sits at the water line mark on the hull, and due to my normal slight starboard list, sits above the water while not sailing, it certainly is below the water when on a port tack with any kind of slight heal. There is a service loop in the hose run that probably keeps the entire hose assembly from being completely below the water, and the pump is up high well above the water line, but the pump is the only thing between the open sea and the shower pan drain. There isn't an anti-syphon valve on it either. I can't believe this is normal / acceptable???

In this case, given the tight constraints, ( it is behind a toilet paper storage bin) is it adviseable to add a proper seacock to the hull ( would need some kind of 90 angle one ), or given its function, just a ball valve attached to the elbow coming off the thruhull?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LittleWingCA
1980 Pacific Seacraft Orion 27
Sailing Grounds: Southern California

Last edited by LittleWingCA; 09-16-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook