SailNet Community - View Single Post - how much clothing
View Single Post
post #9 of Old 09-16-2010
Send a message via Skype™ to oceanscapt
Foul weather gear (jacket, pants, boots, gloves, thermals); 3pr boat shorts; 1pr good shorts; 3 long sleeved boat t-shirts, 1 long sleeved good shirt; 2 loud short sleeved Hawaiian shirts, 2pr flops; 2pr water shoes (Merrills w Vibram soles for water and light shore walking); 1pr med duty hiking boots; 1pr sorta good shoes, 4pr socks; 3pr sailing gloves; 2 Tilley hats; 1 baseball hat; 1 sweater; 1 light water resistant jacket; several handkerchiefs.

The good clothes are stored away in a waterproof bag and are designed for shore times. Boat clothes are clothes that have degraded from good to don't wear ashore unless you want to be razzed.

I wear flops most of the time (arches and age) or the Merrills if I need good traction and foot protection whether aboard or on shore. I really like the Merrills and since they're hard to find and fit to my big feet, I have a spare pair. The Merrills aren't what I'd call adequate hiking boots, so I have a pair of those for long walks, long shopping trips, or excursions. I will walk the shore or sand barefoot but will not, under any conditions, walk the dirt streets or paved roads barefoot.

I wear synthetic clothing most of the time as it seems to last the longest, be economical to wash, and isn't expensive. A spare Tilly, baseball hat, and rest of the gear for when temps drop below 75F or the rain's not hard enough to warrant the foul weather gear.

Capt. Douglas Abbott
USCG/MCA IV/C.I./M.I. 500-ton Oceans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome