SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

AC34 in 72ft Cats

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  scouse1 
#1 ·
America’s Cup transformed by radical changes | 34th America's Cup

I know that a lot of people think that the event has gone from bad to worse. That's the Cup it's not one design, it's a development event where money rules.
3rd it happens to take place on water
4th it's a sailing event.

However, for what ever reason the next event will be in cats with wing sails 72ft long crewed by 11 with a guest (media). C class on steroids.

What do you think?

#3 ·
I actually like the idea of the winged cats - but they should be smaller and sturdier - and run through more challenging conditions. The last race was a snoozefest. It was so boring to watch because the boats are so big you don't get a sense of the speed or the human element. They looked like zeppelins - not fast sailboats.

VOR is where it's at.

#9 ·
Here on the bay will require crew to work. There will be headsail changes with shifting dramatically stiff winds. There will be currents up to 7 knots on a good day in places. The landscape circling the bay will be pleasing to the eye. I am wondering what they will do about constant traffic with freighters. That will really add to the challenge.:D .......i2f

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.