SailNet Community - View Single Post - Just passed my HAM test
View Single Post
post #9 of Old 09-19-2010 Thread Starter
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
Canadian test

Originally Posted by F4d3d View Post

I'm interested in becoming a HAM operator - what time commitment was involved to properly prepare for the exam? Did you write the Canadian exam or the American one? Do you have any other information that I might find useful in deciding if I should take the plunge?
What you need is to pass the Basic test with honours (>80%) since this allows you to access all frequencies. A regular test (>70%) limits you to frequencies above 30 MHz which is not very useful. I studied using the notes at HAMSTUDY.COM - BASIC AND ADVANCED AMATEUR RADIO COURSES. I think it was $20 for access for a month. You can also get a book that has the same info. After the prep I used a test generator program from Industry Canada to practice. It randomly generates questions from a data bank so you can do it as often as you want. The test is not hard but there is a lot of memory work.

I wrote the test in the kitchen of a volunteer examiner (they are all over the country). Took about an hour.

Finishing our major refit. Our trip to Newfoundland is off because it is too late. Hoping to go to the North Channel instead.
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome