View Single Post
Old 09-19-2010
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Canadian test

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4d3d View Post
Congratulations.

I'm interested in becoming a HAM operator - what time commitment was involved to properly prepare for the exam? Did you write the Canadian exam or the American one? Do you have any other information that I might find useful in deciding if I should take the plunge?
What you need is to pass the Basic test with honours (>80%) since this allows you to access all frequencies. A regular test (>70%) limits you to frequencies above 30 MHz which is not very useful. I studied using the notes at HAMSTUDY.COM - BASIC AND ADVANCED AMATEUR RADIO COURSES. I think it was $20 for access for a month. You can also get a book that has the same info. After the prep I used a test generator program from Industry Canada to practice. It randomly generates questions from a data bank so you can do it as often as you want. The test is not hard but there is a lot of memory work.

I wrote the test in the kitchen of a volunteer examiner (they are all over the country). Took about an hour.