SailNet Community - View Single Post - Outboard on a P30
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2010

nelsonstruck is on a distinguished road
Actually I took nothing off of the engine. I did dismantle the cabinets around the sink and steps. I was left with the top piece of the counter around the sink just hanging. I cut it off at the corner and then straight back from the corner of the sink. I will reattach this later. I then had all the room I needed. First I took the halyard and put a come along on it. I lifted the engine up to test the strength, there was plenty. Then with the halyard line and another line from the cleat on the back of the boat for for control, I picked it up then pulled it back and set it on the side of the boat on the bench. Then I hooked the halyard to the end of the boom and threaded some 3/8 line through the halyard clip and ran around five times so I had five times the 3/8 for bearing. I ran it from the halyard clip so to put no strain on the boom except to hold the halyard out. I had to put about 6 feet of line down from this. I then put the come along on the end of the 6 ft line. The engine has a nice place for a hook on top, perfectly balanced. I had the boom at about a 45 degree angle, just enough so that when I did swing it out over the truck the motor would go down into it. I had enough length on the come alone that I could pick it up and over the rails and then let it down into the truck parked next to it. I have pics. The worst part of the job was that one of the bolts mounting the engine was particularly difficult to get out. I am large, and somewhat less flexible than I used to be, so of course this bolt was the right rear bolt, the hardest one to reach. I eventually snapped it and once the prop was disconnected, it moved.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook