SailNet Community - View Single Post - questions about installing portholes
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
You can also cut out the stuff after it has dried. I have done both. I think the masking first looks better, but that is my opinion.

Be aware that you have a 7 day cure on 795, and I would say about 24 hrs of no moisture. I would not take her sailing for a week after application. The flexing of the boat can cause it to fail.

Cleanup is with acetone. Be careful about acetone on the lexan... or whatever that stuff is made of. It will mar the plastic. I found that xylene does not (but check before you do it). I used acteone first, then Xylene. Xylene and toluene are good cleaners too, but very carcinogenic IMHO. You will need some type of special gove as most gloves disolve in them. It turned out better for me just to be really careful. Last caution is to make sure you keep her out of direct sunlight if possible. The heating of the plastic will make it warp very slightly and break the seal of the 795. I found this one out the hard way. I do not think it has to sit in in the shade all day... but the longer the better.

Sidenote is that I think you can also use alcohol to prep instead of acetone... but I keep so much acetone I used that.

Not a hard project, but working with 795 is like working with snot. Have fun and keep plenty of beer for afterwards.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook