SailNet Community - View Single Post - Big Freakin' Sails
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by NICHOLSON58 View Post
Let the kids on deck if they want to as long as they can keep out of the way - or help. Puke is easier to clean off decks than from the cabin. Just do life jackets and harnesses. Harnesses are manditory on our boat: after dark; in big blows; outside of the cockpit in anything rough. Photos look like a standard cold front squall line with a few goddies extra. Usually evaporates into a nice sunset. I watched a nice roll cloud attack the marina a few weeks ago. Nothing but nice after it passed. Sometimes on the water our vista is way greater than on land. Just be prepared.

Speaking of big sails, I just discovered the sail I thought was a standard kite turned out to be a monster asymetrical; about a 200 % Geny. (Mast 80, foot about 40). First time out of the bag after four years of restoration and learn as you go. We've been running a fun combo of two jibs, main, mizzen, mizzen staysail. It gives about 9.5 with 12 on the beam. I'm sure the kite will throw us over 10.
Thanks for the feedback Nic. They wanted to be on the deck - so it was me that was nervous, not them.

As for that BFSpinnaker - we want pics dude!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 09-20-2010 at 11:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook