SailNet Community - View Single Post - Newbie Looking for fiberglass advice
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2006

natew is on a distinguished road
Newbie Looking for fiberglass advice

Forgive me for not being a sailor but I know that most of you guys are the best at doing repairs so I thought I'd ask here. I searched through the posts and couldn't find what I was looking for so links or advice is greatly appreciated!
Here's my story:
I've got an old fiberglass canoe that I want to repair as a project to kill some time and to get the hang of things. What I started with was the fiberglass and then some genius decided to plug some holes/cracks with clear silicone (bought this from and auction for $20) Anyway, I've since removed all the silicone and sanded down the outside with an 80 grit paper. I still have a number of small scratches around the outside area that I need to fill with something and then about 6-8 holes through the hull that I need to patch with a fiberglass kit. I want to fix the holes and such and then gelcoat the whole thing. I've read the article on gelcoat and feel good about that but I'd like some advice on the fiberglass/scratch repair. I want to do this right so it looks really nice and professional so I don't care how much time I have to spend. Money: I'd like to stay under $100.00 for materials (remember small canoe) anything in the realm of advice, things to keep in mind, and/or links would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook