SailNet Community - View Single Post - Who''s living on what??
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2006

poog is on a distinguished road
We sold our condo, and have to be out of it in two and a half weeks. We bought a 52' Irwin ketch with the equity on the condo before we had it sold! Brought the boat 150 miles down to San Diego from Ventura and two days before we left we found a slip. That's right, we didn't have a slip at the time we were buying the boat.

We looked at boats for over a year, sold everything, had a hell of a time with brokers, and people telling us we were crazy. I cannot tell you the countless hours I put in trying to make a dream happen that I have been after since I was a teen. I am now 36. I had to buy a condo while the bubble was still blowing up to get some equity to get the boat I have always wanted. I did it on an interest only loan and I pulled it off. Just like I have always known in my heart and soul what I was going to do for a living, I have always known I would be a live-aboard.

I get people asking me what I do for a living when they see the boat. They think I am some dot com fortunate. It really gets people thinking when they find out that I am an ocean lifeguard and my lady is a waitress.

Am I foolhardy for pursuing my dream the way I have? Hell no! I have been a professional waterman most of my adult life and the one thing I have always found out is that if you pursue what you want, you will find a way.

52' Irwin Ketch (1977), 55' L.O.A.
15' 1/2 beam
7' draft

Is the boat too big? Absolutely. Comfortable as hell though.
Expensive? Heck yeah! Good thing I do my own maintenance.
Too much boat to handle? Keep a good weather eye out, shorten sail early when short handed. Usually it's just been me and my gal and we do O.K. yeah it can get a bit sketchy sometimes around the dock, but I go real slow and it has been fine.

What else to say? We love this life we have been pursuing, we have met the greatest people, and we have not cared the least in the nay sayers that thought we were crazy for trying to pull this off. We haven't completely pulled it off yet as we are still trying to get live aboard status. But we will work it out just like everything else. It has been a wild ride so far.

At the end of the day life seems so much more cool when you get off the couch and find something different to do.

Yours in lifesaving,
Poog
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to poog For This Useful Post:
captain jack (05-28-2014)