SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hans Christian Cheaper Alternative
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2010

jephotog is on a distinguished road
While way out my price range, I don't think that is expensive for what you get the prices you quote. I think the prices vary lots too for the boat just finished their 2nd circumnavigation they and the boat are tired and want to get out, to the boat just upgraded ready to start that cruise.

I too think they are one of the prettiest boats. I fell in love with one when I learned to sail, even rounded up enough friends to afford to take out an HC33 when I was in college.

Given the amount of woodwork, especially teak would you want a version cheaply made? As much as I love the look, having that much teak would be a maintenance nightmare, even worse if poorly put together.

I think a more modern alternative with a canoe hull would be a Crealock design, Westsail 32 or 42, Crealock 31 or 38s but you won't find those cheap either. There is a lot of fiberglass, lead and in the case of the HC wood as well in these boats. The only way to find them cheap is if a lot of stuff is broken on board.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook