SailNet Community - View Single Post - Composting Toilets
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2010
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
MedSailor—

would point out that if you use a sink to dispose of urine, it would be considered an MSD... By definition and law, an MSD is a Marine Sanitation Device... and anything used to handle human waste is an MSD. A bucket is an MSD if you pee or poo in it...
Incorrect SD. I have actually READ the CFRs (code of federal regularions, ie the law that the coast guard enforses) on this topic. The terminology they use is that a MSD is a "device designed to transport or store waste." The sink, or bucket doesn't qualify. If you decide to use it as such (while offshore or in cadada)then so be it, you're using a bucket not an MSD. It's the word "designed" that is critical. Here is the CFR:

33CFR
§ 159.3 Definitions Marine sanitation device and device includes any equipment for installation on board a vessel which is designed to receive, retain, treat, or discharge sewage, and any process to treat such sewage.

It kind of reminds me of how everyone at work goes around saying that the HIPPA law doesn't let you do this or that. Only one of the doctors I work with has actually read the law....
Medsailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook