SailNet Community - View Single Post - Wheel to Tiller Conversion
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2010

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC
wsmurdoch is on a distinguished road
I have a tiller steered boat.

My original controls were an earlier incarnation of the current Teleflex MJB (see page 639 of the West Marine Catalogue). The arms were chrome plate over zinc and were a mess after 20 years. I bought a Chinese knockoff of the MJB from BoaterBits and did a little parts swapping.

Inside the port locker are cutouts in the plywood core for the controls. Mine are not installed in that spot but rather somewhat farther aft. The engine cutoff handle and mounts for its control cable are also in the port locker forward of the engine controls.

The aft seat of my cockpit is flat. The fiberglass rudder post tube comes up to the bottom of the seat. There is a grease fitting screwed into the tube below the seat to give the rudder post a shot of grease once or twice a year.

In the engine compartment where the steering quadrant is located on wheel steered boats, I have a shelf with spots for two batteries, one on each side of the rudder post tube. Combined with the two batteries in the port locker, that gives me spots for four 27/29/31 batteries. The starboard battery can be serviced through a panel in the foot of the quarter berth. I have a group 29 battery there which serves as my engine starting battery. The port side is currently empty as the only way I could figure to check the water would be to remove the battery, and I am too lazy to do that once a month.

We use a Simrad TP30 autopilot set in a hole aft of the starboard cockpit locker pushing on a bracket below the tiller to steer the boat when we aren’t. It failed coming back from the Bahamas two years ago and it now has a TP32 as a spare.

I have been through my pictures and don’t have any good ones of the aft end of the cockpit. The best I can do is this one taken on the way to the Bahamas this year in Myrtle Beach, SC.

Tiller in the Snow picture by wsmurdoch - Photobucket

My engine is in New Jersey being rebuilt, the boat is in North Carolina, and I am in Tennessee. When the engine is ready I’ll drive to Union, pick it up, then go to New Bern to install it. I suspect that will be at the end of this month. I can take some pictures then.

Also in the slip beside me is another PSC 34, Freedom, 1986, with tiller steering.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook