SailNet Community - View Single Post - jib furler install pricing
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2010

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmharbor View Post
Thanks for reply - are you located anywhere on the Chesapeake Bay
that you would be interested in installing it?
I'm nowhere near the Chesapeake Bay. Sorry.
I guess business is much better up there if you are having a hard time finding a rigger to do the work. Down here in FL, especially since the oil spill, things have been extremely tight.

I would ask the riggers that you talk to how long they expect the job to take. I can't see how anyone could take more than four to five hours at the most to install a new furling system. Even factoring in the new wire.

The guy comes to the boat, eases the mainsheet and backstay and pulls the mast forward with a halyard. He pulls the clevis pin on the now slack forestay and then hooks up his gear and goes aloft. He secures the headstay/old furler with another halyard and pulls the top pin. Then he drops back down to the deck and with your help, lowers the old headstay/furler to the dock. All that should take only about a half hour to forty five minutes.
Then he measures the pin to pin length of the old stay and makes up the new one. Presumably with mechanical fittings. That should take about a half hour at the most.
Then he assembles the new furler. One and a half to two hours.
He raises the system, again with your help, goes aloft to pin it, comes down to pin the bottom and retunes the rig. Another half hour.
If you have him run the furling line and install the sail, that could take another half hour or so.

I am assuming that you aren't hiring two people. If you are not available to help and he has to provide his own assistant, that could add a considerable cost.

Either the riggers up there are making one hell of an hourly wage or they are really slow.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook