SailNet Community - View Single Post - Lost at Sea
Thread: Lost at Sea
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
I just finished reading "Adrift: 76 Days Lost at Sea" - by Steven Callahan. Absolutely incredible story. Lessons learned:

-Whales seem to be a valid concern in ocean passages. I'm now reading another "Adrfit" book about a couple that are in a raft for 66 days. Both this couple and Callahan were holed by whales. Then you have the boat a year or so ago in a Transpac that was holed and rescued. Then you have this guy:

I'm not too worried about containers. But these beasties can be bad news. Got that Sea Shepherd?

-Don't scrimp on the make and size of your liferaft. His was in a 6-man - and he barely had enough room to live on it!!!!

-Make sure you have a solar still in your raft kit as a back up. And definitely have a hand-pump watermaker in your ditchbag.

-You can't have too many knives, and EPIRBs, and radios, and flares, etc.

-Pile in cushions, sleeping bags, anything you possibly can to keep you off the raft surface. And absolutely have a space blanket in your ditch bag.

-He had a speargun in his ditch bag, which was a serious live saver (even over line and hooks). It did cause him tremendous, prolonged misery when the spear punctured his raft as he was pulling in a Dorado - but it sure saved him in many, many ways.

-God works in very mysterious ways when it comes to providing sustenance. You just have to read the book to know what I mean on that one. Wow.

Great book. Lots to think about.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 09-24-2010 at 09:04 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook