SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Sailing from Croatia

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Dorian7 
#1 ·
Finally got the funds and I am shopping for cruising yacht. Found a couple of well priced boats in Croatia. Has anyone sailed from the area to or via Australia. Western Australia in particular. Haven't looked at Cruising Routes of the World yet but would like to take into account any experiences.

Routes,passage times, times of the year, problems etc would all be helpful.

Cheers for Beers

Keith

#2 ·
You can find good priced boats in Croatia because till some years back they didn't pay taxes (VAT). But pay atention because most of those boats were heavily used doing charter work (Croatia is like a charter paradise, with an incredible number of charter boats).

Try also to look at the British market. With the pound coming down you can find also there some interesting priced boats, and most of them are owner's boats.

#3 ·
must agree with PCP...
Croatia is a charter paradise and there are over 200 companies which charter vessels of any kind...
the best time of year to buy a boat would be right now... you can find some excellent yachts for reasonable prices (specially in countries where the financial crisis is still high...)

#4 ·
Finally got the funds and I am shopping for cruising yacht. Found a couple of well priced boats in Croatia. ...

Keith
Keith, be careful with buying boats in Croatia. 95% of them were used as charter boats and a boat with one year of charter can be in worst shape than the same boat used for 4 or 5 years and maintained by a careful owner. I chartered this year a 5 month old boat and you wouldn't believe the damage that was already been made.

That's why you find cheap used boats in Croatia.

Regards

Paulo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.