SailNet Community - View Single Post - Catalina 42 vs french boats
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
I heard this argument often. I am not sure if this a valid concern or just hearsay. With today technology and engineering design. Making a big window on sailboat can stand the crashing wave is not too difficult. I am sure Beneteau, Jeanneau or others have tested theirs. When I examine the windows on these boats, they are flush and smooth. More importantly. When the wave crashing down, the boat will yield.

As for big window, it gets harder. If someone has money to buy a new sailboat, he can not be so dumb. I am sure he can figure it out a simple solution to get it under control.

It boils down personal preferences. It is not a design fault. I for one would not like to stay in a saloon like a dark basement full old dark smelly wood furniture. I like a lively saloon that reminds me that I am in a sailboat.

I would like to hear if anyone experiences or hears any report window/port hole failures.
Well, I am not a fan of teh big portlights overhead. First, they will leak. Maybe not the day you buy it, but it will happen and they are a pain to rebed. I just did another over the weekend.

To me, the safety aspect is less of a wave coming down and crashing through the light as much as it is that the things are slick when wet. No shoes grip on those things. THrow a little sea spray, a 6+ foot sea, and low lighting, and you have a pretty serious hazard. Heck, any one of those will make it a hazard.

They look nice though. They do give lots of light down below. Everything is a tradeoff.

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook