SailNet Community - View Single Post - General recall mistaken for next class preparatory signal
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2010

aarhus is on a distinguished road
Some facts then. The black flag was up at the first start, not sure why the race committee decided to do that. As I wrote earlier, the committee apparently sounded a general recall because they could not identify ANY of the OCS boats (I presume this is why all but one were scored DNC and no DSQ/BFD around. The RC went through a second start sequence (for the one boat that turned back). As to why one boat restarted and the other 15, I can only say that the one boat saw the general recall flag, and in out boat we did not; if I am to assume that everyone else's reasoning went like mine, then the other 15 boats also ignored the one sound as a preparatory sound for the next class, since general recall should be signaled with the first substitute up and TWO sounds. Finally, I argue that the boats who ignored the general recall deserve redress (so i guess I am questioning their scoring).

Several of you have noted that it is only the flags and not the sounds that count. Is there a rule in the RRS that states this? Rule 29.2 states that the Race committee should signal general recall with two sounds, and case 71 in the RRS Case Book explains that when the necessary sound signal is skipped in the (similar?) case of an individual recall, the boat deserves redress. Is there any rule/case/other that could be used as argument on the "only flags count" side? (not a rhetorical question)

Thanks for the input...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook