SailNet Community - View Single Post - C&C 99 motoring speed and a few others
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2010

angelog is on a distinguished road
S2 7.9's are fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by olson34 View Post
And, if you just want a fast race boat, scroll down a way in the list of boats at that brokerage and look at that S2 7.9 Grand Slam. I used to crew some on one and they are Fast.
Yes they are, but I routinely beat them in my 1977 Pearson 10M (which btw is a GREAT sailing boat, stiff and avail for <$20k).

I've read your thread. My buddy loves his C&C110. Very comfortable and fast, but not competitive in PHRF (he has the older version and 6' keel, BS). There are 2 on the Ches Bay, and neither is raking in the silver. That said, it moves very nicely in all winds.

Another boat that you might look at is Beneteau First 10R. They didn't take off like Bene hoped and you can pick them up used for just over $100k. Farr design with a PHRF in the 80's.

Also, not many around, but look for an X-332 .. probably can be had near $100k.

Older boats? Don't overlook a J-30. Remarkable room down below for a 30ft boat .. or a J-32. Also, I'll put in another plug for a Person 10M. We rate 156 here in the Ches Bay and we just won Best in Fleet. It's a very stiff boat, well balanced but it's got a lot of headsail. We used to have a RF with a foam luff that would take me from 155 down to 110 and it sails wonderfully on jib alone.

I'm still eyeing C&C99's. They tried to keep a OD fleet alive in the Bay, but that's fallen apart and it doesn't look like they are competitive under PHRF here with a 108 rating.

Angelo - Pearson 10M "Bella Donna"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook