SailNet Community - View Single Post - How do people get started?
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 06-21-2006 Thread Starter
rahima53

How do people get started?

So I have been investigating learning to sail for a few weeks now. I found a sailing school nearby and was all set to sign up for Basic Keelboat. Then the practical side of my mind kicked in and I started thinking about sailing opportunities after I learn.

I live in South Carolina about an hour from Lake Hartwell and maybe 3 hours from Charleston. I looked into renting sailboats in those two areas and I only found 1 boat available for rent. (I asked the captain at the sailing school and he claims to have the only rental boat on Lake Hartwell).

I don't own a boat, and it probably wouldn't be a good idea for a brand new sailor to just go and buy one. I don't know anyone with a boat I can borrow. I contacted the local sailing club, but most members own their boats and the small fleet they do have is reserved for youth sailing.

Looking ahead I see buying a 25'-27' to get some more practical liveaboard experience with the family. After a few years of experience and after the kids get a little older I envision a larger boat and longer trips.

So I'm looking for some practical advice. Before I go and plunk down 5 figures for a pocket cruiser only to find out my wife gets seasick and my kids hate the ocean how can I fill in that experience gap between just learning and boat owner? How do most people gain experience after they learn?
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome