SailNet Community - View Single Post - To Spartite or not to Spartite - that is the question?
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2010
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
To Spartite or not to Spartite - that is the question?

The mast partners on by boat have 22 teak (of all things) wedges. They seem to support the mast admirably but they creak in a seaway. I am thinking of replacing the wedges with Spartite. I had Spartite in my last boat and was quite pleased with it, but if I can avoid the expense and hassle that would be a good thing.

Ideas? Spartite - does it have other advantages than being quieter? Lubricate the wedges somehow? Live with creaking? I want something that will work well on a heavy displacement cruising boat starting out on a 30 000+ mile trip - I keep thinking of going around the Cape of Good Hope when the weather window is not as good as it appeared so it has to be reliable.
Back to Grenada in early December. Not sure I will remember how to sail. Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook