SailNet Community - View Single Post - Best Boat for my purpose?
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2010
Advocate777

Advocate777 is on a distinguished road
good input

Yes, I guess you are right in that the passage through the Gulf in a good window is not really offshore. Is it also true that if I head south to Caribbean?
I definitely have no plans or desire to sail to Europe or head through the Panama Canal to Pacific cruising to Tahiti. So, it would be just intercoastal motoring and then to Bahamas and eventually would like to work in the U.S. Virgin Islands (am a U.S. attorney).
I am a bit "older" (relatively speaking) so comfort in port is important as well as single handing. I am not elderly--just 52 but my first mate and wife is 42 and we are both beginner sailors. So, somewhere to sleep below that is not a single berth is key. Frankly, we will be doing alot of hanging out in a slip or mooring in the Northern Chesapeake as a base and then in South Florida (Miami, Treasure Coast/Stuart, and Keys) seasonally.
We will be motoring down the IC but heading out to sea coastal cruising off Georgia and Florida coast--no offshore Cape Hatteras sailing in the foreseeable future.
Would also like to take her up to Nova Scotia. Not sure the route--I hear it can be difficult for newbies off the Long Island Sound and Cape Cod but maybe we could go up the Hudson/Great Lakes/St. Lawrence seaway----but that is for the future.
For now, just a boat to sail the Chesapeake and hone our abilities and confidence, and then, Florida and the bahamas and eventually the Caribean and maybe someday Nova Scotia.
So, that is our use of the boat. What are your recommendations ?

Thanks-
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook