SailNet Community - View Single Post - Heaven Can Wait
Thread: Heaven Can Wait
View Single Post
post #6 of Old 09-30-2010 Thread Starter
Super Fuzzy Moderator
Neither had I, not from a wet weather gear perspective anyway but good offshore gear is as wind resistant as it is moisture.

My jacket is Ronstan and is coastal not offshore. I wore a sleeveless lined jacket underneath that with a long sleeved polo. My upper body was fine.

I wore just a pair of pants on first watch but by 2000 knew that was not going to be good enough for 2400 - 0400 so added a pair of long johns. Even then the wind ripped right through me. Simply put the pants were not heavy duty enough to be wind resistant.

As for the boots, I had worn a pair of canvas shoes but they got wet and by the time I could get a change of shoes and socks my feet were freezing. I never really got them warm again.

Given that a $500.00 pair of Dubarry's is out of the question I'm going to try a pair of Bourke Southerley Seaboots. They are supposedly much more wind resistant than the standard Burke Seaboot. Also not as long so easier to get off in an emergency. I bought some possum fur socks in NZ earlier this year. My guess is that these with the new boots should see me through.

Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post
I'd not thought about the cold! All my gear was bought dirt-cheap at a Ronstan sale a year or so ago and would definitely not make the grade (I wouldn't recommend it to anyone either).

My brother used to wear wet-boots for his offshore racing which he said worked okay, but I don't know that I'd want to be wearing wet-boots for an extended period.

I find the price of ALL offshore gear shocking. If you have to pay over $1,000 nowadays just for a jacket, maybe I just plain can't afford to go offshore anymore... and I don't think the old oilskins are the ticket - just the smell of them made me want to throw up.

Does anybody make anything affordable anymore? I don't think so..

Andrew B

“Life is a trick, and you get one chance to learn it.”
― Terry Pratchett, Nation

Malo 39 Classic

Last edited by tdw; 09-30-2010 at 01:25 AM.
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome