SailNet Community - View Single Post - ODAy 40 Sea Trials
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2006

wlcoxe is on a distinguished road
ODAy 40 Sea Trials

Our new-to-us ODay 40 launched late last week, the new jib was delivered Thrusday, the new main Friday, and a friend and I bent on the sails on Saturday. Unfortunately, not enough time to leave the slip. Sunday, my wife amd I sailed out into Fishers Island Sound from New London, and evrything works! The engine repairs completed in the Fall were successful, the boat stands up to the wind wonderfully, and the only omplaint is that furling that brand new main is a struggle. It is a loose-footed, four full battened sail, adn it is SLICK when trying to drape it over the boom. Also, even though the engine idles at around 600 RPM, that is good for almost to knots, and it is easy to run out of furling room if the wind is blowing from the shore. Furling problems should be eased before the wekend when the Mack Pack is installed. Since Sunday, I have been out twice, and other than furling, the biggest problem has been learning to back into the slip. First time, there were neighbors to assist-Tuesday it took 15 minnutes to figure out how to get prop walk, which is significant, to work for me, and yesterday, it all came together. Practice, practice, practice. NExt step, anchoring with the unfamiliar ground tackle. I want to be ready for the fourth annual ODAy rOnDAYvous! See you on the water!
Bill Coxe, O28(VERY available)/O40, New London, CT
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook