SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cruising and financial planning
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2006
Admirals fav target

NCountry is on a distinguished road
Cruising and financial planning

I wanted to start this thread because it seems like this is the one thing that never gets discussed enough. Some people set aside "x" amount of money and plan on returning when the money runs low. Others set up financial plans and continue to cruise until they are to old. Still others stop and work when the cruising "kitty" gets low. Still yet I've heard others talk about remote villages that will pay a cruiser to bring supplies to them on a monthly basis.
It would be nice to hear from as many as possible on how they pay for their cruising. What about those that invest and live on the returns on the investment while not touching the principle? What about banking and transferring money? Sure, it's easy enough to deal with a great number of problems involving finances when you live on dry land and are accessible every day BUT what does the cruising family do and how do you handle it?
We're set up on a plan that gets us out and not ever having to return. At the longest we'll have to wait 5 years, at the earliest about 2 to 3 more years. I hear a lot of people say "just go and don't wait"! How do you accomplish this?
I've noticed there are some on these boards for which money doesn't seem to be much of an issue. I've also noticed some that don't have much in the way of finances but are still managing to cruise. So, how do all these different types manage to get out and "just do it"?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook