SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Let's see some CS Yachts

64K views 117 replies 42 participants last post by  JRCann 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

Sailnet just added this forum a few minutes ago and I figure a good way to get to know everyone is by their boats.

So if you have a photo of your CS please add it to this thread!

This is our CS-36T:

See less See more
#63 ·
Wow...April 27th?
Early bird is gettin that worm!!
Good for you Kool...Ska'ana is gorgeous!
Illusion is getting new striping and interior cushions/upholstery as we chat.
She was looking tired, and I couldn't handle the smell down below.
The previous owners smoked, and I found mildew on the foam, so exnay!!
Where are you in the yard?
We'll be by on Saturday or Sunday to check up on ours after tweaking it last weekend during the wind storm.
Cheers!
Kim

#66 ·
Hi,
Yes, it worked...and I recognize her colors.
She's lovely!!

We are buttercup yellow and navy stripes.

We are new, too.
Well, I am. My hubby had a 26 ft Columbia before we met, so he had some
experience...but a 30 ft boat is a different thing to navigate, especially after 16 or so years, for sure.
In fact, Sunday marks the 1 year anniversary of our purchase.
I think we'll celebrate tonight with a coupla glasses of grape juice!!

CHEERS!!
K.

#68 ·
Oak and Kim, nice to meet you,.., sorta. We will be checking on Ska'ana again this afternoon as tomorrow is bbq in the backyard day. If you guys are around maybe we can hookup and ooooh and aaaah respectively. Could grab a pint too if you are into it. Sailing season should start early IMO. Ska'ana is at the base of the driveway to the left of the mast rack. She is blue with gold boot stripe.

#69 ·
Not a real CS... but a cousin.

Our boat is not a CS, it's originally a CN boat, and I'm sure all of you know that Ray Wall started out with Camper Nicholson before coming to Canada to form CS. I believe he 'brought/bought' the CS27 design with him - that model is very similar to larger CN models of the day.

Our boat is a Holland design, but I reckon CN did all the deck/house design, and probably the interior too. What's interesting is how much CN carried over to CS.. most notably the 'curb' in the molding where the cabin house meets the deck, and the way that curb climbs up around the aft of the cabin windows and fairs into the house. I don't know if that's Wall's technique or if he simply carried it on.

We've rafted up to friends with a CS 30 with similar windows (not the opening ports of some models) and they really look related - and that's a Castro boat so CS obviously made an effort to 'stick with the theme'..

Two other notes.. a la CN, our handrails are open ended and our pole downhaul passes through one, our furling line through the other - a clever touch that CS did not carry on; and our boat is built in Brazil after C&N sold the molds to a company there. Nich built about 30, Fast Yachts built near 130, of which half a dozen have made it to North America.

Sorry for the Hijack... back to our regular CS programming..:)

Reactions: eherlihy
#71 ·
Copied from sailboatdata.com -

CS Yachts (Canadian Sailcraft) - 1963-1992
Founded by Paul Tennyson who began building the CORNICE dinghy as part of his reinforced plastics business. In 1971 CS dropped dinghy production and began building keelboats under a new name, CS Yachts. In its best year, 1986, CS built 175 30s, 33s, and 36s and the company moved to an expanded 100,000 sq. ft. facility the following year.
By 1990 the company began to wind down it's production due to the diminishing demand for new boats and closed in 1992.
CS Yachts models included the CS 22, designed by John Butler. Raymond Wall, the former chief designer for Camper Nicholson, was CS's chief designer from 1977 to 1983. His CS 27 was followed by the 36, and finally the 33. Tony Castro then took over the duties and drew the CS 36 Merlin, and eventually produced five others, the 30, 44, 40 and finally the 34.

#72 · (Edited)
Thanks for the chronological and other corrections.... :)

Incidentally, when Ray Wall retired/left CS and moved to BC he designed another lovely boat, the Quanta 28. Not sure how many were built, it was barely before the whole late 80s wind-down of the industry, but she kept the pedigree.. I remember thinking how beautifully tooled the moldings were when we saw the first one at a local boatshow.

#73 ·
Hey Kool,
We went yesterday, (Sunday), and cracked a cold pint on board to celebrate 1 year of ownership/boating.
There were quite a few fellow enthusiasts in the yard, milling about, sharing news and brews...a perfect day for it.

I didn't pick this message up til now, so I'll look for Ska'ana when we stop in this weekend.
Ska'ana....pretty name...translation?

#74 ·
Damn HB, we missed you. We went Saturday and opted for sunning in the backyard yesterday. Congrats on 1st year anniversary. Special indeed.

Ska'ana is the Haida word for the killer whale or orca. In Haidan myth the orca is a very powerful spirit. Orca has always fascinated me and the biggest thrill of my lifetime was to be in a 26ft RIB in the Strait of Juan de Fuca when we were surrounded by a pod of killers whales. The RIB felt like a dingy when the dominant male in the pod surfaced a few feet away. Saw the whites of his eyes. A magical moment.

When we acquired her she had the most dreadful name that wasn't at all dignified. Ska'ana seemed only fitting and so we changed her name upon purchase. The fact that she is blue and when hoisted in the air in the travel-lift (something that makes me cringe every time I see it) she looks like a whale to me. So Ska'ana it is.

Thanks for asking BTW.

#75 ·
A good, solid and strong name.
Worthy.

We inherited the name Grand Illusion when we purchased her.
While the immediate thought goes back to that song by Styx, I like to think otherwise.

Websters' offers that grand suggests something that is big, lavish, sumptuous, or wonderful...

According to Wiki, (and we all know how accurate that is), and illusion is a distortion of reality.
"The term illusion refers to a specific form of sensory distortion. Unlike a hallucination, which is a distortion in the absence of a stimulus, an illusion describes a misinterpretation of a true sensation. For example, hearing voices regardless of the environment would be a hallucination, whereas hearing voices in the sound of running water (or other auditory source) would be an illusion."

So, our boat is really a big, wonderul distortion of the senses...
I'll go with that.

Also, to rename her, there is this whole sacrifice the virgin on the bow thing, and where'd we find one of those????

;)

#82 ·
After years of sailing a Laser 2 I have just added a CS 22 to my fleet. It hardly qualifies as a yacht, and its status has recently changed from "sailable" to "project boat" thanks to low water levels this year. a large submerged rock that isn't on the charts, and the freakishly long rudder on a CS 22. As a newby with fewer than 10 posts I can't post photos yet, but I would be interested in connecting with other 22 owners.

#83 ·
Hey guys,

Just bought a 77' CS 27 "after five". its a shoal draft keel and besides a little polishing of the hull and wiring in the cabin shes sound as a pound! hope to be taking her on our first big trip with her to the Main duck islands with my dad soon. (out of Trident Yacht Club). Being young (me in the picture), sailing around in 420s for many years, and being a dockhand at my local marina this is my first keelboat. and I love it!

Cheers, Shayne

After Five - Imgur

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.