SailNet Community - View Single Post - To Spartite or not to Spartite - that is the question?
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by DwayneSpeer View Post
....Also I believe the wedges are there just to keep the mast in the correct place until the stays are attached and tensioned. I think you can remove them.
I'm going to respectfully disagree with that one, Dwayne. Any keel stepped mast that has prebend induced is going to want to be pushing forward pretty hard and is held centered in the partners by the wedges (or some other solid filler). Removing the wedges without some other form of spacer there the mast will bow forward to the front of the partners and open up the gap at the back.. Also sailing forces and loads will push the mast from one side edge of the partners to the other laterally when beating... it's a recipe for wear and abrasion on both parts.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook