SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boston LNG carrier security regulations
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Boston's inner harbor is relatively narrow compared to most. It is also right in the heart of the city. As such, the security zone is really a good idea and a necessity. If terrorists managed to damage the LNG tanker, the resulting catastrophe could flatten a good part of the city.

The USCG usually broadcasts a SECURITE message warning of the restrictions and when the LNG tanker is due.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper519 View Post
This has been occurring since at least the summer of 2007. I brought my boat down from Boston Harbor to Savannah, Ga. coastal cruising and going down the ICW. Unfortunately, when we left Boston harbor the local CG/harbor patrol was very unpleasant; they ordered us not just out of the channel but to pull into a marina threatening us with a hefty fine. I found this interesting as we passed through several large commercial harbors that handle hazardous cargo and had no problems with the authorities. Other then this incident we had an excellent time in Boston.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook